Re: Qt3 breakage since 1.5.19

Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
[snip]
> Actually, now that you mention it...
>
> I was in the middle of building kdelibs-3.5.1 when gcc choked on
> uic-generated code (this happened with both 3.3.4 and 3.3.5).  So I went
> back to rebuild 3.3.4, and now it won't finish either.
>
> g++ -c -pipe -I/usr/include/postgresql/server
> -I/usr/include/postgresql/pgsql -I/usr/include/postgresql/pgsql/server
> -fno-exceptions -DPIC -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT  -DDESIGNER
> -DQT_INTERNAL_XML -DQT_INTERNAL_WORKSPACE -DQT_INTERNAL_ICONVIE
> W -DQT_INTERNAL_TABLE -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -DQT_NO_DEBUG
> -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT
> -I/home/Yaakov/src/kde/qt/3/qt-x11-free-3.3.4/.build/mkspecs/cygwin-g++
> -I. -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I../shared -I../uilib -I../../../include
> -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.moc/release-shared-mt/ -o ./listboxeditor.o
> listboxeditor.cpp
> listboxeditor.cpp:32:7: warning: no newline at end of file
[snip]

Yes, same problem I've been seeing.

> Looking at the generated listboxeditor.cpp (and at the KDE package), it
> seems that uic doesn't compile .ui files correctly, resulting in the
> above gcc errors.

Actually is more complicated than that, uic sometimes runs perfectly, then fails
like above (except that with a snapshot, previous to latest release, it
deadlocked on a mutex).  In fact if you look at the output above the failure,
uic ran many times generating .h files and I've seen that it does generate a few
.cpp files before it fails.

Even more strange, I've seen it run on the same file that it failed before when
I ran it by hand, but not always... I'm not sure if that means that it corrupts
something in the shared memory set by cygwin1.dll, I really don't know how that
works.

> Running the uic command to generate this code in gdb, I get a bunch of
> SIGSEGV in pthread_mutex* functions in cygwin1.dll, then:

> 0x713f33a4 in QRealMutexPrivate::QRealMutexPrivate ()
>    from
> /home/Yaakov/src/kde/qt/3/qt-x11-free-3.3.4/.build/bin/cygqt-mt-3.dll
>
> The offending code is in src/tools/qmutex_unix.cpp (which has absolutely
> no changes from 3.3.4 to 3.3.5).

Interesting.

[snip]
> Same story with 3.3.5, but it's still hard-masked unstable on Gentoo, so
> I'm holding it back (at least until I see how KDE 3.5 works with it).
> Qt4 is totally different and incompatible with qt3 (but will be parallel
> installable, once I get working on it).  Let's get this working first,
> though.

Looks like the path of least resistance is looking at cygwin1.dll changes.  I
prefer to use gdb, that's why I installed the cygwin code and made a debug qt
library.

Any idea why the debug library works?  I already tought that the optimization
may be doing something wrong, but your notes above point in another direction.

Regards.
--
René Berber