weirdness with xterm and expect

I want to start an xterm on my local machine using an
expect script. It works fine when I start X in
'normal' mode (not query or broadcast) but when I
start X in query mode I am unable to start an xterm
using either the -c argument to expect on the command
line, or via a script, even though I am still able to
launch an xterm from the expect shell prompt.

To summarize:

1. expect1.1>spawn xterm /* works -- opens an xterm */
2. $ expect -c 'spawn xterm' /* no xterm */
3. script file:
#!/usr/bin/expect --
#begin
spawn xterm
#end

/* no xterm */

Methods 2 and 3 do work if I change 'xterm' to
'xeyes', so whatever the problem is it doesn't affect
all applications.

I am starting X in both cases with these flags:

-ac -kb -multiwindow -clipboard

but simply adding -query and the IP of the machine I
connect to every day in the query mode scenario.

Thanks for any ideas about what I might not understand
about this scenario or where the 'bug' is, if there is one.