Re: CygWin fatal error...

rmajalca@uach.mx wrote:
Hi. I'm new to all this about Cygwin. I'couldn't find any page concerning this issue. It isn't even about a product of yours. It happens i been tring to use the Axiomatic Multi-platform C Compiler from AxiomSol, it uses the Cygwin basement on the Windows version. I don't know if you even heard about it, it is a C compiler wich produces Java ByteCode instead, quite a good idea.

The thing is, once it is installed, if i try to start the Xwin server (following the sequence of commands on the ampcstart bat file), an error is generated indcating "A fatal error has ocurred and Cygwin/X will now exit". Whenever i search for a file Xwin.log on the /tmp directory, it happens that this file not even exists!. Some of the directories mentioned on the same bat file wich are part of the Cygwin installation doesn't exist neither.

I mentioned this issue to the guys of Axiomsol but they don't seem to understand it (they insist on the firewall stuff but i don't think this is the problem). So i'm writing you in the hope for some more useful tip. Thanks a lot, i'll be waiting your answer

This is really off-topic since it's a problem with a 3rd party product.
You do really need to get them to resolve it for you.  However, if I
had to guess, I'd say the problem is duplicate cygwin1.dlls and/or
other Cygwin DLLs.  You can test this by isolating (or completely
uninstalling) the Axiomatic compiler and see if that resolves the issue.
You may find that you need to reinstall Cygwin via setup.exe to get
all the settings back to where they should be (Axiomatic may muck with
these as part of their installation).  But take it one step at a time.
If you find just uninstalling the Axiomatic compiler resolves the issue,
you can look at reinstalling Axiomatic and removing duplicated Cygwin
DLLs from the installation (especially cygwin1.dll).  Just make sure that
the Cygwin bin directory is in your (Windows) path and that the DLLs you
remove from Axiomatic's installation exist in your Cygwin instalation.
That should allow you to use both Cygwin and Axiomatic together,
assuming all the above yielded positive results.  But keep in mind that
this is a fragile installation on Axiomatic's part.  Any update of their
stuff will likely break things again.  That's something you want to take
up with them.

Holliston, MA 01746