RE: How to run _X_ Session from RH8 via ssh -X?

[snip]

> > > However, I cannot seem to start an X session from my "ssh  -X -p 892
> > > Administrator@209.22.31.134" session. I tried running "explorer ." and
that
> > > just hung. OK, that was not an X program.  Then I tried
> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/xclock and it said it could not open the display.
Having
> > > already done a xhost+ <remote wan address> before running ssh I tried
export
> > > DISPLAY=<client lan address>:0.0 but that did not help: it still could
not
> > > open the display.
>
> If you are using ssh -X or -Y you don't need to set DISPLAY, in fact ssh
already
> did set it.  But if you set DISPLAY then X uses the normal ports and those
will
> have to be opened/redirected on the firewall.
>
> [snip]
> > > winCheckDisplayNumber - Cygwin/X is already running on display 0
>
> It was running already but it's not needed unless you want to use VNC.

Well what am I doing wrong? I forgot to mention: the firewall guarding the
windows machine must have the necessary ports open or I would not be able to
establish a console window on it.

Why does  /usr/X11R6/bin/xclock still say "Error can't open display:"?

Thanks,
Siegfried