Questions for previous Cygwin/X maintainers

I'm now trying to get XWin from xorg-server-1.0.2 running. I got it to build with a few minor patches, but it can't seem to find the fonts, similar to the FAQ:

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof

I have all the fonts installed and have run mkfontdir, mkfontscale, and fc-cache on the font directories. I've even tried running /usr/bin/XWin with the old /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts directories (via -fp arg), but it still can't find the fonts.

1) What are the bare minimum fonts required for running XWin?

2) Is mounting the fonts directory necessary? On one machine, on which xorg-x11-6.8.2 was the first version installed, there is no such mount, and yet the old XWin runs.

3) What else can cause X not to init font path?

4) Is there anything else that I should know that may be helpful?

Thanks in advance,

Yaakov