fullscreen X server in the background

Apologies if this has come up before - I'm currently trying out
various ways of using windows as an X desktop for accessing a couple
of unix (linux) machines on the lan. I expect to spend most of my time
in X, with occassional forays into the local windows system when I
have to.

Two current options are

1) Xvnc on the remote machine, with a vnc client on windows

2) cygwin/X on the windows machine.

The former has the benefit of preserving the session if I allow the
local machine to suspend or hibernate.

There's one other rather nice feature of tightvnc that doesn't seem to
work in X/cygwin, and I was just wondering if I'm missing it, or if it
would be easy to add (I can try, though it's probably a change with
the windows bit, rather than the X bit, which I know a bit better...).

If I run either Xwin or tightvnc in full-screen mode, the windows task
bar is obscured (as expected). A double-tap on the windows key raises
the task bar. The difference is that the vnc client remains in the
background (with the bottom few rows obscured), and the screen
continues to update. But in cygwin/X, the X server window is minimized.

Now I can run Xwin with -nodecoration, which does almost the same
thing, but I lose a few rows of pixels at the bottom. And maybe I can
configure the windows task bar to hide / auto-raise, but that's not
quite right either, since I won't be able to use the bottom few rows
without windows task bar appearing and getting in the way.

Is it possible for Xwin -fullscreen to stay visible when it is not in
the foreground ?

Incidentally, on FAQ 5.2 - I'd been puzzling over why I kept getting
these BadAtom X errors with remote display - looking at the raw
protocol with Ethereal, the requests looked perfectly well formed.

The FAQ implies the problem is only when using ssh, but I just set
DISPLAY directly to the X server (the "unsecure telnet" way described
in the user guide), since I stay (mostly) within the LAN, and don't
care much about security. I get the errors also using Xvnc, but at
least I understand it now...

Might be useful if the FAQ contained a pointer to the background on
the problem. Eg

 http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/X11R6.8.0/doc/Xserver.1.html#sect8

which (as far as I can see) reveals that BadAtom is actually sent in
response to a security violation.

Other possible workarounds might be to disable the SECURITY extension
completely (Xwin -extension SECURITY)  or to configure a security
policy file to not fail these requests (I've not tried this, but it
sounds like it ought to work...)

dd
--
Dave Denholm              <ddenholm@esmertec.com>       http://www.esmertec.com