Re: XWindows version of Java?

Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, siegfried wrote:
>
>> I notice the cygwin version of emacs runs in XWindows and is one of the
>> few XWindows programs I run frequently on windows.
>>
>> I assume (I have not tried it yet) I can run the cygwin version of emacs
>> on my home windows machine from a remote machine with the xhost and "ssh
>> -X" commands. Is this correct?
>
> If it's X-capable, which I believe the Cygwin emacs executable isn't.
> And the Cygwin xemacs package uses Win32 instead of X.

Wrong, the xemacs shipped as Cygwin package can use both.

And the answer to the OP is yes.

>> Sun's javaw runs native windows, not xwindows. Is there a way I can run
>> GUI java programs on windows using xwindows so they are compatible with
>> xhost and "ssh -X"?
>
> Only via remote desktop (Google for rdesktop).

Uh?  Of course any Xwindows application can display on Cygwin's X server, java
applications are just that, except many have an ugly default setting on window
size and position (they use size 0x0 for instance) but that seems to be
corrected in newer applications.

>> I've been reading about gcj and that might work but it looks like I'd
>> have to recompile everything myself. I want to run eclipse on windows
>> from a remote machine and I see in fedora core 4 they have recompiled
>> eclipse with gcj. But I was hoping I would not have to recompile eclipse
>> from the source.
>
> You may have to (or use rdesktop).

Eclipse running in a remote Linux machine can be shown fine on a local X server.
 Yes, Eclipse is being compiled with gcj (version 4.1.x not available currently
under Cygwin) but that has nothing to do with showing Eclipse running on Linux.

>> Does cygwin have a javax program that runs GUI java programs under
>> xwindows?
>
> Unfortunately, no.  When and if Sun open-sources its Java VM, it may or
> may not be buildable on Cygwin.  But until then, you won't have Java over
> X from Windows.

Sort of a cross-compiler but instead of code the cross targets display
manager... sounds doable with gcj, even the old versions.  But AFAIK no body has
done it, all the development of gcj for Windows has been done under MingW, which
by the way also has its own X server, but even there the AWT and Swing stuff has
been replaced with SwingWT.
--
René Berber