Re: TCP/IP Security Limits - WinXP and XWIN.exe

On 8/16/06, René Berber <r.berber@computer.org> wrote:
Mark Edwards wrote:

> On 8/16/06, René Berber wrote:
>[snip]
>> netstat -nb (and a lot of patience) or netstat -anb (which of course
>> will take a long time).

> Thanks for the comments René, however my point was that it is XWin.exe
> that seems to be invoking this behaviour. What is not clear to me is
> why, and if there is a configuration setting or work-around that can
> prevent it.

My point was that you need to run netstat to make sure it is XWin... saying
"seems" will not encourage anybody to look into this.

FWIW I don't think XWin is going to come out as the problem, as I said I haven't
seen that problem (and I use ssh -X all the time) and something as big as
"TCP/IP has reached the security limit" would certainly come up in this list
very often if XWin was the cause.  You're not using WinXP Home are you?

the reason I say "seems" is that the symptoms given in the Microsoft document are not apparent when checking netstat, however the presence of the 4226 error is clear indication of a problem.

Just so that we get on the same page here, I am currently not using
ssh -X, I am using the following:

$ cat ..xinitrc
xhost +
ssh int01@tcgtest 'cd development/dialer; ./invoke.sh 172.23.1.197:0.0'

... to invoke the application. The 'invoke.sh' script sets the DISPLAY
environment variable and the GUI appears on my windows box. Right
before the networking fails.

tcgtest is on the same subnet as my windows box, so no firewalling or
tunnelling required to get to it. Should I be using ssh -X  for this
type of application do you think?

Mark

--
René Berber