Re: TCP/IP Security Limits - WinXP and XWIN.exe

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> René Berber wrote:
>> XWin only opens a couple of connections, with ssh -X it's only one
>> connection.
>
> XWin opens no connection (except for xdmcp). It's a server and will only
> react on incoming connections.

To clarify, and I knew when I wrote the above it wasn't quite correct, XWin
opens many connections but mainly to itself or for listening -- that's what
you'll see with netstat, but to find the cause of the original problem what we
are interested is in connections between the 2 computers, here (if I'm not
wrong) XWin will start a connection on the default xdmcp port then follow on
another port.

> The error results from a program which tries to open many connections at
> a time (SYN request). these connections must be acknowledged by the
> receiving end (SYN,ACK reply). as long as this reply was not received,
> the connection is in a half-open state. Windows XP does only allow 10 of
> these half-open connections. File sharing programs or worms which try to
> send mass mail may cause this problem. I don't see any reason why XWin
> would cause this behaviour.

Exactly.  Thanks for the explanation.
--
René Berber