Very Poor Performance

This was working beautifully, but no longer. I have an Ubuntu box that I access from windows xp using xdmcp. But now, when I scroll the mouse in a browser, or type, or whatever, there is often an unacceptably long delay before anything happens. It can sometimes take as long as a second until something happens. It's basically no longer usable.

Strange thing is that sometimes it works fine (not often though). And everything usually works fine when I first open the session, lasting for a few minutes, and then it goes to shit.

I think it started happening after I tried to install Tarantella. When I installed Tarantella, I noticed that it was installing something from cywin, but I wasn't really paying attention as to exactly what. I've removed anything to do with Tarantella, and I re-installed cygwin x, but the problem remains.

I pretty sure the problem is on the windows side. The ubuntu box runs fine on its own, not over the network. There don't seem to be any other network problems. And when I click on the cygwin x icon in the windows tool bar, I see the same kind of delay shrinking or expanding the window.

I hope that someone can give me some ideas how to fix this.

Thanks

Dan