Re: slow paints despite fast hardware

Phlip wrote:
> Peter Woo wrote:
>
>> Most of the
>> cryptic xf86config that you see on Linux is not applicable to Cygwin.
>
> Yay
>
>> I guess I am confused like the other folks on what else you could do
>> to tune up Cygwin/X.  Just to limit the scope a bit - do you run
>> slow xterm even just by opening up a local xterm on your Windows XP
>> (display 127.0.0.1:0.0)?
>
> The local xterm (the one that anchors the server) is fast.
>
>  Remote Konsole - super slow
>  Remote Gedit - slow
>  Remote Xterm - fast!
>
> At a guess, are some programs pushing pixels across the wire, to
> assemble text, while some programs use the local fonts?

It looks like you and Larry kinda got off on the wrong foot there.  Try to
get beyond that, and look at the help he tried to give you, but you
ignored...

He already indicated to you that there are no performance switches to turn
on/off.

He also asked you to follow the proper reporting guidelines, which often
give other people on the list clues as to what may be wrong in your
installation and/or configuration.

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

However, one more suggestion for you...if you go back and read that FAQ
entry again ...

<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#poor-performance>

it says that you may have to disable firewall/VPN/etc. software thay may
have installed its own TCP/IP stack.  Often, disabling is not enough, you
have to completely uninstall it.  This isn't based on my own experience, but
from other comments on this list, so you may want to search the archives
more for what software often causes these kinds of problems.

Cary