Re: New Bash Release Broken?

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
It is my habit to update the entire cygwin installation at least once a week.
Earlier today, I updated and got the new version of bash, 3.1.17(8).
It appears broken. The .profile I have happily used for years gives it
fits (the same .profile works fine if I invoke ksh instead of bash) and
other shell scripts that used to work, no longer do. The shell typically
produces errors like:

: invalid option name
': not a valid identifier
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
-bash: /cygdrive/c/usr/home/tundra/.profile: line 15: syntax error near unexpect'd token `{
'bash: /cygdrive/c/usr/home/tundra/.profile: line 15: `{

In this case, the "script" was .profile and the first 15 lines look
like this:

set -o ignoreeof
export ignoreeof
export EDITOR=emacs
export MACHINE=`uname -n`
export PAGER=less
export TZ=CST6CDT

TERM=vt100

# Function definitions

function PyD
{
    cd $HOME/Dev/python/$1
}

Ideas anyone? Is there a change to bash syntax and I just didn't get the memo?

That's one way to put it.

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2006-09/msg00006.html>

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746