Re: X and MS .Net

On 10/8/06, Asmodehn Shade <asmodehn@gmail.com> wrote:
However, I now have to, somehow, embed a Xserver inside a .Net/C#
application for my work... and I am wondering how I should do that. I
just feel like a cat with a mouse bigger than him ;)
Has anyone an idea or just a clue about this ? I just fetched the
source, and I am browsing it now...
If on the way there are stuff you need help with, that may be related
to it, just let me know ;-)

Are you sure there is no way around this? Why exactly do you want to do this? The Xorg reference implementation is written in unmanned C. There are DDXs that operate like that, but they are integrated with the X server and written in C. If your program doesn't have to be entirely .NET/C#, you *might* be able to use C# to implement the DDX (or at least part of it)....

Sorry if this kind of question has already been asked, but I found
nothing about it, neither with google, or mailing lists... ( by the
way is there a subscription scheme to those ? )

I think the NoMachine NX client is an Xorg DDX based upon the Xnest DDX. I don't think they used C#, but they did build an application around an X server, you might look into how they did it.

If you can't use any unmanned code, you can will either have to write
a translator to convert the C in Xorg code to C#, find some other X
server you can use (I am not aware of any free X servers other than
Xorg) or implement a new X server from scratch.

Thank you for your time,
James Steven Supancic III