Re: gcc output from remote machine shows up strange on cygwin xterm

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Russ Lewis wrote:

I ssh from my local Cygwin installation to a remote Linux box (Fedora Core 5 on AMD64). When I run gcc on the remote machine, certain parts of various error messages show up strangely; things between single quotes show up as the character â.

However, when the terminal application is run from a Linux box, I get the full error message. For instance, if I ssh from Cygwin to the remote machine, then run a (remote) xterm (passed back to Cygwin through X forwarding), then run make in that xterm, I get the normal error strings. Likewise, the error strings show up if I run make locally on the Linux box. It also works when I ssh from an ancient Linux box to my build machine (that is, when the xterm application is running on an ancient Linux box).

I finally tracked it down to the fact that gcc is ouputting three-byte sequences for each single quote; apparently Cygwin is having trouble displaying them.

That's UTF-8, which you can suppress by setting your locale (on the Linux box). Cygwin doesn't have the locale support needed for this. Something
like this script (with-locale) can be useful, e.g.,

with-locale C program

#!/bin/sh
unset LANG
unset LC_ALL
unset LC_CTYPE
export LANG=$1
export LC_ALL=$1
shift
$*

You can of course modify the system configuration; however Fedora sets it in more than one place (there should be an FAQ on this somewhere).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net