Re: gcc output from remote machine shows up strange on cygwin xterm

Brian Dessent wrote:

Russ Lewis wrote:

I ssh from my local Cygwin installation to a remote Linux box (Fedora
Core 5 on AMD64). When I run gcc on the remote machine, certain parts of
various error messages show up strangely; things between single quotes
show up as the character â.

That's UTF-8. It happens because somewhere in your rc files on the linux machine the locale gets set to en_US.UTF-8 (or some other variation that specifies UTF-8) but you are not using a terminal that can display unicode.

The solution is simple:

Use a terminal that supports unicode.

OR

Modify your rc files to not set a unicode locale, or otherwise modify
the environment as appropriate.  E.g. "export LC_ALL=C".

Thanks, guys.