Re: Cygwin/X - Remote App Won't Start

On 12/11/06, Wayne Anderson wrote:
Hello mailing list.  I'm new to Cygwin/X, and I'm trying to use it to run
Micros 8700 apps (on a SCO OpenServer 5 machine) from my Win2K PC.

Welcome aboard!

I'm running an out-of-the box default install of Cygwin/X, except for adding
the -ac switch to the startxdmcp.bat file (thanks to Matt Flemming's web
site).  I can successfully run startxdmcp.bat and log in to the OpenServer
desktop.  All the built-in OpenServer apps seem to work, and all the Micros
8700 apps work except one (Configurator), which of course is the one I need.

When I attempt to start the app, the outline of the window begins to
display, but before the contents become visible it immediately disappears.
The XWin.log file looks exactly the same whether I run a working app or the
nonworking one, so that doesn't seem to give me any clues.  I tried Xming on
a WinXP PC and got the exact same results.  The app in question does work
just fine when I run it on the UNIX server, so that's not the problem.

I don't know where to go from here to troubleshoot - any suggestions would
be appreciated.  Thanks.

See > Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Can you run the application successfully if you use ssh and X tunneling?

I've actually never even tried to get Cygwin to function as a regular
old X server.  I have always tunneled it through ssh and have never
had issues.

You'd have to start X up with just startx and then use ssh with at
least -X and possibly -Y.

Have you tried disabling any local firewalls or anti-virus protection
on your Windows system?

Are there any meaningful logs on the OpenServer system?

-Jason