From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Shewaferaw Shibeshi
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 10:24 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: cygwin/x fails to run on WinXP when cygwin.bat executed instead
a different software phpEdit runs

1)       cygwin has been running on my WinXP machine as a charm until I
installed phpEdit software few days ago. After I installed this software
when I try to run the program by executing (double clicking the icon)
cygwin.bat instead of cygwin this newly installed program phpEdit starts
to run. It sounds some form of hijacking cygwin takes place.
2)       As an intervention even after I uninstalled phpedit cygwin
still fails to run. What happens is instead the famous Windows  dialogue
box pop ups asking which program to use to open cygwin.bat file
defaulting to notepad as the best program to open it-remember my
intention is to run not to see content of file.
3)       As a second intervention, I unistalled the old cygwin and
downloaded a fresh setup.exe file and also downloaded and performed a
new install even from different mirrors. But the problem still persist.
Again and again it ask me to choose a program to open the "cygwin.bat"
file despite the fact that what I want is to run not to open. When I use
note pad and open the content I only get a text file of "cygwin.bat"
with the following content:
                     @echo off
                      C:
                      chdir C:\cygwin\bin
                      bash --login -i

          How can I make cygwin run?  Why particularly this problem is
manifested after I
           installed phpEdit?  When cygwin supposed to run when
cygwin.bat executed
           why phpEdit instead run?

Shewa

Important Notice:

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee
and may contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the addressee, you are
notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the
contents is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender by return e-mail immediately and destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.
Thank you.