Re: Xlib connection refused

Holger Krull wrote:
> thom@heavyweightsoftware.com schrieb:
>> Xlib: connection to "192.168.205.98:0.0 refused by server
>> Xlib: No protocol specified
>> xterm XT error: Can't open display: 192.168.205.98:0.0
>>
>> I have no idea what the 0.0 is, but the 192.168.205.98 is my windows
>> box running cygwin x server. This is set up in my DISPLAY variable
>> on the linux host.
>
> If you use ssh to tunnel the X-protocol, you shouldn't set DISPLAY,
> ssh will do that for you.

ssh will usually set your display number to 10.  So, if you type
  echo $DISPLAY
on the remote system, you should see 192.168.205.98:10.0.
Since you are seeing 0 instead of 10, something is setting it incorrectly
for you.

Are you typing ssh -X or ssh -Y?  Note that -Y tends to work better with
most applications.
Are you manually resetting DISPLAY after you login?
Is there anything in your remote startup scripts that sets DISPLAY?
Including any system-wide scripts?

> If you want to connect without a tunnel, for testing start the
> X-server with -ac to disable access control (or use xhost+) to see if
> that is the problem.

This would just be for testing.  I wouldn't use -ac normally unless you
understand the (in)security ramifications.  Also, make sure you understand
on which machine you need to use xhost and how to set DISPLAY properly.

Cary