EOL Fix? for Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'

Synopsis: if you encounter the fatal server error due to "fixed" font, and have tried FAQ 8.4 to no avail, switching the end-of-lines to UNIX may solve the problem:

After following the Cygwin/X installation instruction, running startx ended with this message, which others have reported, and which FAQ 8.4 (http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof) attempted to address:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

Unfortunately, neither of the two listed reasons applied to me. I confirmed the installation of the required "xorg-x11-fnts" pakcage, and my /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts seemed in tact (misc/ had 414 items).

Still, just for good measures, I tried reinstalling the 5 font related packages, still no help.

Finally, the Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:03:25 +0100 post by Mikaël Baudet prompted to try switching from DOS to UNIX end-of-lines, and reinstalling all the xorg-x11-* packages, and voila, startx worked.

Cheers,
Shang-Wen Cheng