Re: error when starting X-Win

Martin Bartak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How to delete </tmp/.X11-unix/X0> automatically when closing
> X-session or,
> how to prevent its emergence when starting X-sesion or,
> how to make it re-writable by 'non-Administrator' user?
>
> I've got Cygwin 1.5.23-2 (full installation) on WinXP with two
> user accounts. I use 'startx' command to invoke X-Win
> with default parameters or options.
> When starting X-Win, a file named 'X0' is placed into /tmp/.X11-unix/
> and it probably locks the X-server for current user (?)
> This file persists after exiting from X-Win and also after exiting
> from Cygwin. No problem if I start Cygwin and X-Win again
> as the same user, but when I login as another user (different from
> Administrator) X-Win cannot be started unless the previous X0 file
> is deleted.

I have sshd installed, so I ssh into the account that owns /tmp/.X11
and remove it.  Better yet, I simply have the same account starting
Xwin all the time.  For example, if user1 is the Xwin account and I am
logged in as user2, I can ssh into user1 to start Xwin.  Or simply do
Start->run, then use the runas command to run startxwin.bat as user1
(full program path required).  The user2 login session hasn't been
interrupted; you just need to "export DISPLAY=:0.0" and then start
launching X applications.

A problem occurs if user2 doesn't have authentication info to login as
user1 or run applications as user1.  Maybe there is a way to modify
startxwin.bat or startxwin.sh.  Have the script wait for the Xwin
command to finish, and then have it remove /tmp/.X11.  That way,
whoever launches Xwin via startxwin.{bat,sh} also removes /tmp/.X11
upon completion.  I've only looked at startxwin.bat script for any
nontrivial amount of time, and I know that you can have script wait
for Xwin to complete by modifying the %RUN% command that launches it.
%RUN% is fancy invocation of the "run" command, and getting help on
that shows that the -wait switch will cause the script to pause until
launched applications ends before continuing.

There is a problem I haven't figured out -- how to have startxwin.bat
wait for Xwin to finish, yet still proceed to launch xterm *before* it
starts to wait.  I'm sure those who are wizards in scripting, signals,
and things who can figure it out, but that is a foggy area for me at
best.  I have my eyes peeled for the chimings-in of such experienced
people, in case they respond.  Meanwhile, you can comment out the
xterm line and launch it from another bash shell e.g. opened from the
Start Menu (not elegant, I know).