Re: error when starting X-Win

Gmane User wrote:

<snip>

Which made me think "wouldn't it be nice if mounting didn't have
to be done for each user account?".  I install cygwin on whatever
machine (of several) that I happen to work on, so such a global
fix would make life easier.  And there is a solution.
With a bit of refresher from the unix shell newsgroup, I was
prompted into realizing that startxwin.sh launches XWin in the
background, which allows the PID to be captured with "$!".  So
if one really wanted to, startxwin could use "wait" with XWin's
PID to wait for XWin to finish, after which it deletes
/tmp/.X11-unix.  No need to maintain user-specific /tmp mounts.
One could probably create a start-menu shortcut that invokes
startxwin.sh with the run command, similar to the way it is used
in startxwin.bat.

If memory serves me correctly, this was talked about before and perhaps even implemented. If the latter is actually true, then it got lost at some point (perhaps about the time that the Cygwin-X maintainer was lost ;-) ).

Holliston, MA 01746