Re: Error 29 on Vista

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>

William Bierman wrote:
On 3/6/07, thebigcheeze <thebigcheeze <at> gmail <dot> com> wrote:
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>  Don't to feed the spammers.

I installed Cygwin with the default packages with added ssh and the entire
x11 package. when I attempt to run xwindows using this batch file:

@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i startx

It gives the following error:

     45 [main] xterm 2240 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
0x3AB0
0..0x3AB440, done 0, windows pid 2356, Win32 error 487
xterm: Error 29, errno 11: Resource temporarily unavailable
Reason: spawn: fork() failed

followed by:

winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped WM_QUIT
message,
winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow succeeded.

winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be
1; f
ixing.
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

then it kicks me back to the command prompt. anyone know a work around or
perhaps a fix for this?

I'm running on an Administrator account as well.

> I get the 'resource temporarily unavailable' error quite often, as
> well.  For me it's usually when I'm attempting to perform some remote
> function with SVN.
>
> If I just keep trying, it usually works by the fourth try.
>
> I would also be very interested in a solution.

Fork failures are typically caused by one of two issues:

  1. Buggy firewalls, virus-scanners, spyware proggies, etc.
  2. DLL address space collisions

The former can be solved by uninstalling all such junkware (no, you can't
generally just disable this stuff) and trying again.  If it works, then
you know you need to report a bug (to the junkware provider, not to Cygwin).
 The latter can be solved by installing the 'rebase' package, reading
'/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rebase-2.4.3.README', and following the instructions.

Win32 error 487 is a classic indicator of problem 2 above.  I'd recommend
starting there.  You can check the main list for lots of back-story to the
rebase issue if you're interested.

Holliston, MA 01746