Re: customizing keyboard layout with XKB

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Alan James Caruana wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been searching on how to configure and customize a keyboard
> layout with XKB, and all I could find is the basic guide on the
> XFree86 site. ( www.xfree86.org/current/XKB-Config.html ), but I need
> something more detailed (or maybe some help from anybody who knows
> XKB).
>
> There is the "XkbOptions" field, but I couldn't find a list of the
> possible options I can give it. The same goes for "XkbVariants".
>
> I know that I can use the "XkbLayout" to change the keyboard language,
> but if I want to create a custom keyboard layout, say with the letters
> 'Q' and 'A' inverted, what should I do?
>
> I would appreciate it if anyone could help me in any way, whether by
> giving me the solution or by pointing me towards good documentation
> from which I can figure out how to do it myself.

"man xkbcomp".  Also, look at various files in /etc/X11/xkb.

Googling for "custom keyboard layout xkbcomp" got some helpful links too,
e.g., <http://fearchar.net/2007/February/07-custom-keyboard-mapping>.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin