can't startup startx in cygwin

Installed cygwin, etc a couple of years ago with using windows xp. It worked fine. Over Christmas break, made a clean sweep of the harddrive and reinstalled cygwin-x. Ran it once, worked fine. Closed it and could not get it to open. Cygwin was fine. "startx" just got hung. Started poking around. Decided to delete and reinstall everything. Worked once, then would just get hung again when I "startx". Went to the FAQs and found 8.4/8.5.

I get these two errors from the log:

could not init font path element usr/x11r6/lib/x11/fonts/100dpi
and
could not init font path element usr/x11r6/lib/x11/fonts/CID

It processes a couple more lines after this and just sits there.

On trying to follow the 8.4 instructions when I run umount/usr/x11r6/lib/x11/fonts, it comes back and says that the file is not found.

Also, there are no instructions for the other /CID problem.

How do I fix this?

Thanks, Katherine Merrill