Re: deleted by mistake .bashrc file in C:\cygwin\home\setup after install

Obviously not cygwin-specific, and I don't have a cygwin computer in
front of me at the moment, so I'm not even positive that this applies
on cygwin - but on most UNIX systems, you could run
cp /etc/skel/.bashrc ~/.bashrc

Again, I'm not positive that cygwin even has a /etc/skel, but most
UNIX systems copy the files in /etc/skel/ into every new user's home
folder when it's created.  Running that command would be the
equivalent of the copy that the system did behind-the-scenes when
setting up your home folder.

~Matt

On 4/29/07, Ken Smith <kens@kensnet.org> wrote:
Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Tomczak wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I did install cygwin and Grass on windows XP at the weekend and
>> accidentally
>> deleted .bashrc file in C:\cygwin\home\setup and the file is not in my
>> recycle bin.
>>
>> Can someone advise how i can get it back from the downloaded install
>> files.
>> I was installing Grass 6.2.1 Win/Grass with cygwin. i used the latest
>> cygwin
>> download from the setup program.
>>
>> Also would like to know to edit it as i know very little about unix.
>>
>> Thanks in Advance
>>
>> Thierry
>
> First off, you accidentally emailed this to the wrong list.
>
> Second off, honestly if it wasn't produced when you first started
> cygwin up and you didn't back it up, then you are (unfortunately) at
> fault for your own file deletion. AFAIK there isn't any way to get it
> back.
>
> -Garrett
>
> {snip}

Another approach might be to log on as another user and let the system
generate a new .bashrc and then copy the file over. As it happens on my
system the .bashrc is largely commented out as follows.....

# base-files version 3.2-1

# User dependent .bashrc file

# See man bash for more options...
# Don't wait for job termination notification
# set -o notify

# Don't use ^D to exit
# set -o ignoreeof

# Don't put duplicate lines in the history.
# export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups

# Some example alias instructions
# alias less='less -r'
# alias rm='rm -i'
# alias whence='type -a'
# alias ls='ls -F --color=tty'
# alias dir='ls --color=auto --format=vertical'
# alias vdir='ls --color=auto --format=long'
# alias ll='ls -l'
# alias la='ls -A'
# alias l='ls -CF'

# Some example functions