RE: XWin 6.8.99.901-4-Problems with fonts and clipboard module - cygcheck.out (0/1)

Robert Neville wrote on Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:07 PM::

> After reinstalling X and all fonts, I mounted the font path and still
> receive this error.
>
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
> removing from list!

This is not an error, it is just a warning.  If you had searched the
archive you would have known this.  Everyone will get this in their
log unless they've explicitly installed fonts into the CID directory.

Your problem has nothing to do with fonts.

> winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.
> winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started, aborting.
> winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowsMessageQueue trapped
> WM_QUIT message, exiting main loop. winClipboardProc - XDestroyWindow
> succeeded.
>
> winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

This appears to be your problem.  My guess is that either:

a) something is trying to communicate with the X clipboard before
it has finished its initialisation.  If this is the case, you might
find my version of startxwin.bat useful (attached, just save & rename
it).  This waits for a key line to appear in the XWin log file before
trying to launch any client programs.

b) you have some firewall/antivirus/other software that is interfering
with the communication with the X clipboard.  The advice is generally
to uninstall such software. Just disabling them still leaves them
hooked into the system.  Dave Korn has been compiling a list of the
known offenders in the cygwin-talk thread "The Big List of Dodgy Apps".
Search the mail archives to see if you have any of the mentioned
programs.

If none of the above works, you could always try the obsolete xwinclip,
which is a standalone clipboard handler.  To install it via cygwin
setup, you need to uncheck the "hide obsolete and administrative
packages" option.  To use it, you need to remove the -clipboard option
from the XWin command line, start the X server, then enter the command
"run xwinclip".  This is not particularly reliable, and IIRC some key
changes regarding data conversion are missing from it, but at least
when it crashes, it doesn't cause X to die too.  Note that because
this package is obsolete (and has been for quite some time), you
cannot expect any support for it.

HTH,

Phil