RE: Startxwin.bat fatal error in Windows Vista

Allen Rongone wrote on Monday, May 14, 2007 8:29 PM::

>     I've seen this before under Windows XP and it was due to the fact
> that the previous user was the owner of the /tmp/.X11-unix directory
> and no one else had permissions to delete the X0 file nor were they
> able to remove this directory. I just gave Everyone Full Control to
> the /tmp directory and made it inheritable, that solved the problem.
> However, now under Vista, Everyone no longer gets propagated to the
> /tmp/X11-unix directory so when another user runs startxwin.bat it
> cannot delete the X0 file and remove the sud-directory.

The usual workaround for this is to make /tmp a user mount, i.e. each
user has their own /tmp.

E.g.:  mount -u -b $APPDATA\\tmp /tmp

If that doesn't work, there's either a program already using port
6000, or your firewall/antivirus is blocking access to it.

X uses port 6000 + the display number, so if another program's using
port 6000, you can start X on say port 6002 with "XWin :2".