Re: unable to open display "" 6 times when I try to run any X apps from xterm

May bee a longshot,

A couple of months ago I had the same problem and it turned out to be
a DLL problem caused by Logitec web-cam drivers.  If you have those
installed try uninstalling them and see if this solves the issue.
Talked to logitec about it and they responded that Injecting their DLL
into the screen routing of windows was a good idea...  and why the
h*ll I would want to use linux on windows...

Good luck.

Geordy
On 6/28/07, Larry Hall (Cygwin X) <reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com> wrote:
cygwin@berardi.info wrote:
> I have uninstalled window's firewall (which was disabled before) and
> uninstalled the virus software (AVG).  Still not working.  Can't use xhost
> or any X program except xterm without getting 6 errors of - "Can't open
> display".
>
> I'm a little confused about the response since the output I showed was
> from an xterm started using startxwin.bat which launches X before starting
> xterm which is an X app?  I have been using this configuration for over 2
> years on this box and it suddenly stopped working.

Sounds like this is the key. What's new to the system since it stopped working.

You mentioned initially that you have DISPLAY set in your startxwin.bat.
Don't recall off-hand whether that's in there by default (and I'm not at
a machine that has Cygwin-X installed).  If you added this, I suggest
removing it.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 429-6305 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746