Re: Cygwin X server 'reset' command

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Jean-Claude Gervais wrote:

Hello,

I am using the Xterm that ships with Cygwin.

I forget ("xterm -v" would show the patch level), but Cygwin's got a moderately old xterm. See

http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.log.html

for details on xterm's versions.

When I connect by ssh to a host running Linux, I can run the 'reset' command on that host to clear my xterm and erase its backscroll history.

...sounds right

However, when I am not logged onto a host and execute the 'reset' command locally, it seems to have no effect.

...sounds as if $TERM isn't set properly

In a console-mode bash prompt (cygwin.bat), same behaviour, but I have noticed executing the command 'cmd /c cls' works in this case but not in the graphical xterm.

Although it is not a big problem, I am curious; is there a way to clear the backscroll buffer? The 'clear' command does clear the current screen but not the entire history.

"reset" should behave the same (on the regular cygwin list there's more likelihood that you'd get an answer for this).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net