xemacs

I have cygwin installed on my XP machine along with the x-server and the
Singular version of xemacs.

I am trying to get my scroll wheel to work with xemacs, but I simply
cannot get it to work.

I entered the following into my $HOME/.xemacs file:

$ more ~/.xemacs
;;=======================================
;;        scroll on  mouse wheel
;;=======================================
(global-set-key 'button5 'scroll-up-one)
(global-set-key 'button4 'scroll-down-one)
(global-set-key '(control button5) 'scroll-up)
(global-set-key '(control button4) 'scroll-down)
$

But xemacs does not recognize the commands.  However if I go to the menu
"Cmds->Evaluate List Expression..." And enter each command individually,
it works just fine.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong that is very basic but I'm danged if
I can figure out what it is.

My home directory is located in /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/user
which has embedded spaces in the name.  The imbedded spaces cause other
issues, is this what is the problem?