Re: Unicode/widechar xterm

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 01:25:20PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Brian Dessent wrote:
>
>> Robert Uhl wrote:
>>
>>> Recent builds of xterm don't have --with-wide-chars (or whatever)
>>> enabled.  Any good reason why not?  Connecting to a Unicode terminal
>>> with a non-unicode xterm has...interesting...results.
>>
>> Cygwin/newlib only supports the C locale, so you could build xterm or
>> rxvt with unicode enabled but it would not actually be able to function.
>
> The terminal would work, but most applications do not have self-contained
> locale support (mined does, I'm told).

As does vim.  And really, even if most tools can't handle locales
properly, is there really any excuse for not displaying the characters
properly?  In any event, you can still roll your xterm package back to
202-1 to get back support for displaying unicode.  I, for one, can't
work without it, since a non-unicode xterm is nice enough to display
the copyright symbol (©) as several characters, and vim knows that it's
one, thus causing all kinds of crazy problems when 'move one character
right' means 'stop the cursor on the character after the copyright
symbol' to vim, but means 'stop the cursor in the middle of the
copyright symbol' to xterm.

Even without proper locale support, a multibyte xterm is still really,
really, really useful, especially for those of us whose bosses make us
put copyright symbols in our source files.

~Matt