Re: stopping the cygwin X Server

John Windberg wrote:
There's a nifty startxwin.bat file for starting the x server, but I
was wondering how to stop it. So I went searching and found:

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-stopping.html

When you are done using Cygwin/X, press Alt-F4 to shutdown the X
Server; this is the default key combination to shutdown the X Server.

As far as I can tell, this is quite wrong. Alt-F4 will close any open
window, but not the server, but if you are rootless, and there are no
X apps open, alt-f4 simply closes whichever windows app you have open.
the xwin.exe process continues to run.

You cannot switch to the xwin process to bring it forward to then
close it. There is no way to send an alt-f4 to it.

Should there be a stopxwin.bat?

Why not stop it with "Exit" on the context menu of the "X" icon in the
status bar?

216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 429-6305 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746