Re: Workaround for foreign keyboard problem to be entered in FAQ section 4.1.6

rdiezmail-cygwinxfree@yahoo.de wrote:
Hi all:
I recently hit the foreign keyboard problem described in section 4.1.6
of the Cygwin/X FAQ. That is, I started with:

$ setxkbmap.exe de -model pc105
Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
[...]
and then I tried what the FAQ said, but I got the following error:

  $ xkbcomp -w 3 -xkm -m de /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86 localhost:0.0
  Error:            Can't find file "xfree86" for keycodes include
                    Exiting
                    Abandoning keycodes file "it

I googled for it, and after a while, I found the solution:

 >  I had the same problem...
 >  By copying the /etc/X11/xkb directory
 >  into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
 >  It seems to work pretty well now...

(just in case, I renamed the existing file
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\xkb.lnk beforehand to xkb.bak.lnk before
copying over)

I don't know enough about Cygwin to realise how and why that is; all I
know is, when I copy that directory, my German keyboard works fine in
my X apps.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJFFM>

I'm not sure if it's a bug that could be fixed, but the FAQ entry could
be updated to help people like me. Who's maintaining the FAQ?

No one at the moment. :-( Would you be interested in taking it up?

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 429-6305 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746