X "server already running"?

I've rebooted after a crash (I'm on XP, something else took XP down, not cygwin/X!), and now when I run startx I get a popup error message telling me a fatal error has occurred and I should look at /tmp/XWin.log for further info.

/tmp/XWin.log says:

-- START /tmp/XWin.log --

_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running
winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

-- END /tmp/XWin.log --

I suspect a there's a pid file still hanging around for X from the previous crashed session? I can't find one, and googling for a solution turned up nothing useful.

Can anyone help? I hope so, I'm lost without cygwin / X / vim ! (Talking of vim, if anyone can tell me how to paste into a cygwin/X/vim window I'd be extremely grateful. My usual cumbersome workaround is to quit my vim session and fire up gvim to do the paste!).

- Kev

Kevin Porter
Advanced Web Construction Ltd

-- Unsubscribe info: Problem reports: Documentation: FAQ: