Re: Using XWin.exe to connect to a linux X Server

jose isaias cabrera schrieb:

jose isaias cabrera schrieb:
I am trying to connect to a Gentoo X Server and it is connecting,
but I
don't seem to be able to open an xterm.  All I get is a full screen
without anything.  I am running this command:

XWin -query d-tuxedo

Are you sure XDMCP is enabled on this server? Try Xwin -query gentoo.numeric.ip -from windows.nummeric.ip
I did that and I get the same thing. I get the Cygwin X Window with the
title,

Cygwin/X - d-tuxedo.na.xde3.xerox.org

Because I think I am connecting, but I am not getting anything yet.

What you get if you try to connect with XDMCP (that's the protocol you are using if you chose -query) is completely depending on the settings of the gentoo Server. Usually that would be a login window. If you don't get anything, i assume xdmcp is not enabled on the gentoo box. Check if a process is listening to udp port 177 (netstat -unlp |grep 177).

So, here is what I get,

d-tuxedo 10:14:06-> su
Password:
d-tuxedo jicman # netstat -unlp |grep 177
d-tuxedo jicman #

so, I guess so, maybe XDMCP is not enabled. But I am able to get into gnome when I am in front of the machine...

Yes, looks like xdmcp is not enabled. If you sitting at the machine you don't need xdmcp, only if you want to connect via the network.
Enable xdmcp or use ssh tunneling. I recommend the first.

ssh is enabled, though. That's how I connect to it from windows. I use putty or cygwin.

let me enable xdmcp.

I will let you know how it goes.

thanks.