Re: Compiling XWin (modular Xorg)

On Dec 11, 2007 11:49 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> Janjaap Bos wrote:
> > The changes I made are all in the patch. Let me know when you have
> > suggestions, and whether you're able to build it. Perhaps Yaakov is
> > willing to check it with his findings.
>
> Thank you VERY much.  I will try to look into this into the near future,
> as the server is the only holdup in getting X11R7 finished on Cygwin.

Hi all,

Have you guys checked out the Xming patches
(http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingCode/)? Most of them modify code
that is the same as we use and contain many fixes to current problems
we are experiencing, such as the 24bpp issue. Also, a lot of AG's
fixes he did not commit to either trunk or the cygwin branch. He's
also come up with a rather unsavory, yet workable hack to the
overloaded function issue. There are a ton of DD improvements to the
GLX acceleration code, too. Admittedly, the person who runs that
project is still using monolithic as the base and has a rather bizarre
way of updating the sources uses modular code, but still, it ought to
be worthwhile to check out. Unfortunately, he keeps his latest changes
behind a "donation" paywall, but I'm sure if asked by a well know
cygwin-xorg developer, he would be willing to part with them.

As for the overloaded function problem, I do recall we had this same
issue back in 2002-2003 with shared libXt. You might want to search
through the archives on that one for the whole story. It was a real
frustrating problem to deal with, but a good solution was found that
worked well.

I had a thought on packaging. Perhaps we should adopt the Fedora
scheme? I mean they seem to have packaged it nicely without having 60+
packages. We would still want our versioned packages for the runtime,
but it should help to cut down on the number of packages without
having binary compatibility problems. You could then use the current
cygwin x11-xorg package names as "collection" stubs for the individual
ones. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Nicholas