Re: Workaround for foreign keyboard problem to be entered in FAQ section 4.1.6

rdiezmail-cygwinxfree wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I recently hit the foreign keyboard problem described in section 4.1.6
> of the Cygwin/X FAQ. That is, I started with:
>
>  $ setxkbmap.exe de -model pc105
>
>  Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
>  [...]
>
> and then I tried what the FAQ said, but I got the following error:
>
>   $ xkbcomp -w 3 -xkm -m de /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86 localhost:0.0
>   Error:            Can't find file "xfree86" for keycodes include
>                     Exiting
>                     Abandoning keycodes file "it
>
> I googled for it, and after a while, I found the solution:
>
>  >  I had the same problem...
>  >  By copying the /etc/X11/xkb directory
>  >  into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
>  >  It seems to work pretty well now...
>
> (just in case, I renamed the existing file
> C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\xkb.lnk beforehand to xkb.bak.lnk before
> copying over)

Well, I _think_ I know what has happened here as it happened to me as well.
I had to copy my cygwin environment, and I made a copy on a DVD (of my whole
c:\cygwin directory), and re-installed on a freshly created system.  When
this is being done, I believe all symbolic links, that Windows doesn't know
about are being changed to Windows shortcuts with a .lnk extension.  Hence,
what used to be real (from a cygwin perspective) symbolic links named e.g.
"xkb" are changed into Windows shortcuts and renamed "xkb.lnk" during this
process.  Subsequently, X doesn't start properly and you can e.g. not use
the setxkbmap command.