Re: could not open default font fixed

--On Saturday, February 09, 2008 11:20 AM +0100 BÃrge Strand-Bergesen <borge.strand@gmail.com> wrote:

I need your help to set up the X fonts properly. Following the
suggestions in the mailing list and on the web does not bring about a
solution.

. . . snip . . .
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
removing from list!

Ignore this. It means nothing.

Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'

This is what is keeping you from working.

As I remember my solution was some combo of the following items:

1.) Re-installing Cygwin with "Default Text File Type" set to
"Unix / binary".
This causes cygwin to use "LF" instead of "CR/LF" for the End-Of-Line terminator.

2.) cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
  mkfontdir *

This rebuilds the */fonts.dir files with the correct EOL.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)