Re: I'm having a weird problem w/ cygwin not working on some machines...

FH wrote:
Recently we've started running into an unusual problem in the sense that
the X server seems to have stopped working, at least w/ some machines.  What I
mean is everything starts up ok on the windows machine and when you login to
some unix machines it works fine; login, set up the display variables, type
xterm and the window open.  However on other machines you can go through the
same process and the xterm (or any other app/window) never shows up on the
windows machine.
Could you elaborate on the "set up the display variables" part? You shouldn't have to do anything as you use ssh. As you said you were not an X person, here is how I would do it.

On the windows side, DISPLAY is set by the shell script used to start Xwin (startxwin.sh or startxwin.bat). Then, you get an xterm where DISPLAY is :0.0 (or localhost:0.0 or 127.0.0.1:0.0). From there, ssh -Y user@host will get you to the remote prompt with a twist. Ssh sets up a tunnel *and* sets DISPLAY to something like :10.0 *and* sets up proper authorization. When an X client (an app) runs, it talks to the linux side of the tunnel and everything is sent to the windows X server through the tunnel. If ssh works, you do *not* have to worry about firewall problems.

In particular, notice that you *never* set the DISPLAY variable by hand. You *never* use xhost. It just works (TM). And it is secure.

My suggestions:
- You can check the value of DISPLAY at different steps of the procedure (set | grep DISPLAY) ;
- You can add -vv to the ssh command ;
- You can use a network sniffer (wireshark/ethereal) ;
- You should post your cygcheck results.

Best regards

Sylvain RICHARD