RE: FW: How to create an icon to startx with no extra CMD.EXE window

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Siegfried Heintze (Aditi) wrote:

But I have this ugly console hanging around. When I kill it, it kills X as well. Is there a way to have an icon that does not create a superfluous console window?

You could start an application (including xterm) which is initially iconified. That would move it out of sight. This should work:

xterm -iconic

The startxwin.sh script needs _something_ that is holding onto the shell
script, to prevent it from exiting.

I don't think I made myself clear! When I said "ugly console" I meant the cmd.exe console (possibly running bash). I think you are talking about the initial xterm. The initial xterm is not a problem. How can I start X without running cmd.exe?

hmm (I'm not where I can check).

However - I recall setting up some commands which use the Windows "start" command with a "/min" option.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net