RE: FW: How to create an icon to startx with no extra CMD.EXE window

Thomas Dickey wrote on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:35 AM::

>>> You could start an application (including xterm) which is initially
>>> iconified.  That would move it out of sight.  This should work:
>>>
>>>        xterm -iconic
>>>
>>> The startxwin.sh script needs _something_ that is holding onto the
>>> shell script, to prevent it from exiting.
>>>

>> I don't think I made myself clear! When I said "ugly console" I meant
>> the cmd.exe console (possibly running bash). I think you are talking
>> about the initial xterm. The initial xterm is not a problem. How can
>> I start X without running cmd.exe?
>
> hmm (I'm not where I can check).
>
> However - I recall setting up some commands which use the Windows
> "start" command with a "/min" option.

I'm not sure you can do this (easily) using startx, because the startx
mechanism relies on the script sticking around until the last client
exits.  The traditional (i.e. UNIX) server start-up would run a
window manager as a foreground task.  When the window manager exited,
the server shut down.

If you use startxwin.bat instead, this uses run.exe to start the server
in the background.  This leaves the script free to exit, closing the
cmd window.  You will see the cmd window until the script exits, but
this can be useful.  If you never want to see the cmd window, you can
create a shortcut to the script and set it to start minimized in its
property sheet.

Phil