Re: installation of i686 pc cygwin

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 09:53:56PM -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 13:09 +0200, puneet.ahuja@epfl.ch wrote:
>>
>> Dear friends,
>>                While installing cygwin on windows XP. i686 pc cygwin is not
>> installed,even on asking setup.exe to ''install all''.I tried the Linux sersion
>> of installing i686 pc cygwin which makes the installation enter in a loop and
>> exits without installation.
>> could anyone please help me by letting me know the solution.
>> I apologize if I am not able to explain my problem as I am not an programming
>> expert.
>
>Puneet,
>
>XP needs to be prepared for a Cygwin installation. I've had good success
>with the following procedure:
>
>If a previous installation has failed:
>* Use regedit or regedt32 to delete the following keys from the Windows
>registry:
>  HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions
>  HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sshd
>* Reboot to remove any active Cygwin DLLS from memory
>* Delete the current Cygwin directory in its entirety
>
>Before a new installation:
>* Create a new Cygwin folder and set its access permissions as follows:
>   Administrators group    Full Control
>   SYSTEM                  Full Control
>   Authenticated Users     RWEL   <-- for service accounts only
>* Right-click on the desktop's My Computer icon, select Properties, then
>click on the Advanced tab and the Environment Variables... box. Edit the
>system variables PATH to include the new Cygwin directory:
>
> PATH=%PATH%;<drive>:\<path_to>\Cygwin;<drive>:\path_to\Cygwin\bin
>
>* In the same Environment Variables window, Add the following
>environment variable:
>
> CYGWIN NTSEC TTY
>
>You can now install Cygwin from the Internet, but it is usually faster
>to first download everything from a mirror site to \Cygwin\LatestRelease
>and run setup.exe from there.
>
>I hope this helps...

I'd be surprised if it did since none of it is necessary.  In particular,
you don't add an environment variable called "CYGWIN NTSEC TTY" and if you
are implying that either of those is necessary, you are wrong.  ntsec is
the default and tty is not something you turn on unless you know what it
does.

Installing cygwin is as simple as running setup.exe.  The only decision
you have to make is what mirror to use.  That gets you a minimal
installation.  Then you can rerun setup.exe to add more packages.  If
any of the above was actually necessary at any point we would have fixed
that by now.

cgf