Cygwin -> Xwindows -> Metafont (mfw) -> command \relax. No file mfw.base!

I recently installed Cygwin. I can use metafont (command <mf>), even under

Xwindows. But after starting metafont, when I give the command <\relax> (for

purely interactive use of metafont), followed by a draw- and a
showit-statement

my system teaches me that "Window support for X was not compiled into this

binary" and tells me to use the command <mfw>.

So, starting metafont with <mfw>,the command <\relax> causes my system to

complain: "no info for format 'mfw'. I can't find the base file
'mfw.base'!".

And indeed mfw.base is not on my disk, although mf.base is.

So it seems that there simply is a file 'mfw.base' missing. What can I do
about

it?