From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of thetrystero
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:23 AM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: how to start windows applications

i've just installed cygwin and am noticing some inconsistencies between
executing commands from the command line versus executing them through a
batch file. for example when I try to do

start excel a.xls

I get "bash: start: command not found"

but if I put this in a batch file, a.bat say, and the subsequently
executing
a.bat the the cmd line, it works fine.
Another one is changing directories. Say I'm in C: and I'd like to
change to
U:\temp. The following sequence works in the batch file but not at the
command line:

U:
cd \temp

Any help will be much appreciated!