Re: Fwd: Xwindows won't start (Can't read lock file)

James Ertle wrote:
> Fatal server error:
> Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

As a workaround, you should be able to add "-nolock" to the command line used
to start Xwin (in startxwin.bat, I'm guessing, in your case).

Since a few people seem to have this problem, I'd like to get a resolution.

Sadly, I have no theory about how this could be happening, except perhaps it
could be related to 'unusual' permissions on /tmp which could somehow let you
create but not rename a file (so the output of 'ls -al /tmp' might enlighten)

>    Also of note - I don't see "xorg-x11-base" as a choice when
> installing, and I no longer see an entry for the startup scripts...

These are now obsolete as explained here:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2008-11/msg00000.html