wamp cygwin php. Files with acl, setfacl, issue

I'm running wamp/cygwin as a testing environment, and php doesn't want to recognise any files I create under cygwin (eg vim/touch etc) as they don't have the additional permissions (no + at the end of an ls -l command) .

For example, a php 'is_file()' returns false on a file that most certainly exists. Figuring out what was going on was source of much headache.

I'm sure I am not the first person to have this problem, but I'm having trouble finding info, I've been reading about extended file permissions and setfacl etc, but I don't know how to set it up so I don't have to manually setfacl each file I create in cygwin?

Help appreciated, thanks.