Re: Cannot type in xterm

Lee S Parsons wrote:
Never mind, I found a solution. I found that, just as the FAQ says, the file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
Does not exist. However, as the file
/usr/share/X11/XKeysymDB
does, I created a symbolic link pointing from the inexistent file to the one that does now exist, and life is good.

For reasons I cannot explain, the updated startxwin.bat file did not resolve this situation on its own, nor did startxwin.sh.

The meaning of 'unset' as used in this FAQ is perhaps ambiguous. If 'microsoft services for unix' is adding these variables with (as far as Cygwin/X is concerned) bogus values to the environment, it's not enough to simply not set them in startxwin.bat, they must be unset or reset to the default.

If startxwin.bat had originally unset these environment variables, rather than setting them to the (now incorrect) default, perhaps we wouldn't be having this particular problem now. Things are always easy with hindsight...

So perhaps startxwin.bat needs something like this adding?

unset XAPPLRESDIR XCMSDB XKEYSYMDB XNLSPATH