can't start xterm

Yet again, I seem to have inadvertently gotten an update to cygwin X,
and now I'm having trouble getting xterm to start. I had been using
the startxwin.bat to start X in multiwindow mode, and I have a couple
of lines in there to auto-start some xterm windows. That doesn't work
anymore. The X server starts, but no xterms appear. When I right click
the tray icon and go to Applications->xterm, nothing happens either.
Same deal if I run "XWin.exe" or "XWin -multiwindow" manually. If I
run Cygwin.bat to get the cygwin shell, then run startx, I get the
"Cygwin/X:0.0" blue root window with a "login" xterm and various,
square "icon" things in three of the corners. I'm not sure exactly
what this is, but it's the only place that I can currently get new
xterm windows to open, either by using Applications->xterm from the
tray icon or by running "xterm" from the existing terminal.

How can I get back to running X in multiwindow mode so I can have
several xterm windows?