From: Simon McQueen <sm@prismtech.com>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Sent: Friday, February 6, 2009 6:27:14 PM
Subject: Possible issue with X-start-menu-items : XWin fails to start when  launched from start menu icon

Hi all,

I have performed a complete cygwin install from scratch today. cygcheck output is attached.

Please note that my specific user home is not the Windows default. It's e:\sm, hence my ~ is /cygdrive/e/sm. Cygwin is installed in the default location of c:\cygwin.

Attempting to launch "XWin Server" from the start menu icon does not launch a shell or produce the running XWin widget in the system tray.

I've acknowledged the below:

sm@beatrice ~
$ startxwin.bat
startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003

sm@beatrice ~
$ pushd /cygdrive/c
/cygdrive/c ~

sm@beatrice /cygdrive/c
$ startxwin.bat
startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003

sm@beatrice /cygdrive/c
$

... in the second instance XWin starts OK. The comments in the batch file explain why this is the case.

Examining the properties of the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Cygwin-X\XWin Server" shortcut that I used when trying to launch X from the start menu I note that the "Start in" field is unpopulated. This contrasts with "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Cygwin-X\xterm" where this field has the value "c:\cygwin\bin".

If I populate this field in the "XWin Server" shortcut with c:\cygwin\bin the shortcut works as expected and X launches OK. I presume (but am unable to verify) that this would still be the case for users in the more typical case of having their homes on c:.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
-- Simon McQueen                                      sm@prismtech.com
OpenFusion CORBA & OpenSplice DDS            skype:simonmcqueen?add
http://www.prismtech.com/middleware          callto://+441914979966