Re: Saving all xterm output to a file

teddybouch wrote:

Jon TURNEY wrote:

If you really want to prove this is an xterm issue (which seems unlikely
to me as this really revolves about what bash is doing), you should compare the behaviour between running the command under an xterm and running it under
some other terminal emulator (e.g. the 'cygwin bash shell' menu shortcut which starts bash inside the native 'DOS window')

I'm not really partial to proving that this is an xterm issue - I just want to get it working the way I need it to. Right after I write this email I'm going to make another version of my control program that writes directly to a file and see if that will give me everything that I need. I took your advice and tried it under the cygwin bash shell and got the same problem, so I assume that it's not an xterm issue, but as you suggest, a bash issue. If this isn't the place to find help for that, could someone direct me to the correct venue, please?

For non-X issues, you want the main Cygwin list. But before jotting off a note there, see below.

As to the issue of changing output, I'm sorry that the parameters for the
different results were ambiguous. The input was the same for all of them.
The change in output is not a progressive thing - it's just that sometimes
the printf statements in my code get written to the specified file and other
times they do not. Interestingly enough, the printf statements in the
portion of the code that I didn't write do get output consistently. They are
each followed by called to fflush(stdout) - might this have something to do
with it?

This has _everything_ to do with it. You're obviously suffering from buffered I/O. Employ the same technique as you've found in other areas and I expect your program will output everything like you expect when you expect it.

216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 429-6305 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746